We were appointed for this project by a client who wanted help remodelling an industrial unit on the edge of Norwich. They had recently acquired the unit as new premises for their growing business.
One of the reasons for the client wishing to move their business was so that they could benefit from additional space. It was therefore vitally important that the new space worked for them and met their business needs. We worked closely with the client advising on possible layouts, all of which featured a mix of warehouse, workshop and office space.
Once the final layout was agreed and approved, we started work on site. The first stage of the process was the demolition works, which involved taking the warehouse back to its original shell. The unit was previously used as a vehicle service repair centre, so there were a lot of reminders of its former use to remove and dispose of.
Once the strip out works were complete, we repaired the roof and roof lighting and replaced external windows and doors. A significant stage of the project followed which was to erect a large mezzanine floor spanning the length and breadth of the warehouse. This would create the first floor office accommodation. We did this by installing steel supports, before laying the mezzanine itself. We then created the wall partitions by installing the stud wall frames and securing the wallboards. Each wall was then covered with a vinyl wallpaper.
Once the first floor was in place, we had to install the main set of stairs to connect the reception area on the ground floor to the first floor. Thankfully, when it came to installation day, they were a good fit and went in without issue!
While all this was taking place, our electrical colleagues installed electrical and data cables and our mechanical colleagues fitted pipework, sanitaryware, a new boiler and an air conditioning system. These services were required to create a fully functioning office and warehouse facility.
We brought the entire project to a close by laying carpet tiles throughout the office areas and a vinyl flooring in the kitchen and toilet areas. Outside we created a timber lean to structure as an outside store.
It was nice to be part of a project where we are involved from the initial design stage through to completion. While the project got off to a good start, unfortunately it was forced to pause temporarily when the country went into national lockdown due the Corona Virus pandemic. However, once we were able to restart, the team worked hard to draw the project to a close. It was signed off by building control earlier in the month and it’s great to see that the client’s business is now fully operational from their new premises.